What can I recycle?

What can I recycle?2018-08-17T12:44:51+00:00

When it comes to your office recycling bin, the situation is similar to your home.  Only clean, loose, and dry rigid plastics, tin, paper and card should go into this bin.  See the image below from Recycling List Ireland  for a more thorough list.

  • Only materials mentioned on this list should be placed in your recycling bag.
  • There is no need to separate the different materials using additional bags.
  • Please do not overload the bags.
  • In the interest of Health and Safety UCC does not collect glass in office recycling bins.  Separate glass bins will be provided in certain areas, otherwise glass should be taken to the bottle bank (see map).
  • Bins contaminated by materials not on the list or wet, dirty material cannot be recycled and will go to landfill or incineration.

Of course, university business often results in the generation of wastes that we might not find in our homes, or larger quantities of certain types of waste.  Please see the A-Z further down the page for details on what should be done with these items.

Recycling is the preferred option for disposal of waste items, however not producing the waste in the first place is best practice.  Below are some tips on reducing and reusing for waste prevention.  Should you have other ideas, then please get in touch with us.

Reduce Waste

  • Proof documents on the computer instead of printing numerous drafts.
  • Use dual-sided copying whenever possible.
  • Route or post general information such as memos.
  • Use e-mail.
  • Purchase long-lasting products.
  • Re-evaluate quantities needed for reports and publications.

Reuse supplies

  • Use a reusable mug instead of disposable Styrofoam or paper cups.
  • Reuse file folders and corrugated boxes.
  • Use the back of used paper or obsolete forms for scratch pads and drafts.

There are many different types of waste that may be produced on campus.  The below list is aimed at guiding the campus community in best practice waste disposal.  If you need to dispose of a type of waste that is not listed here then please contact gavin@wastemanagementsolutions.ie

Aerosols – Treat as hazardous waste.

Aluminium cans – Place in mixed recycling bins.

Aluminium foil – Cannot be recycled and must be placed in general waste bins

Batteries – Portable batteries can be taken to the battery collection points located in the library, and at all of the recycling centres.  WEEE Ireland collect batteries to be recycled.

Bicycles – Unwanted bikes can be donated to Cork Community Bikes who will repair and resell the bikes.

Books – Contact Waste Management Solutions or Cork Confidential Shredding.

Brochures – Please use the mixed recycling bins.

Cardboard – Please use the mixed recycling bins. For large amounts of cardboard, please flatten any boxes and leave them in the designated area of your building to be collected by cleaning staff.

Carrier bags – Please use the mixed recycling bins.

CDs and DVDs – Cork Confidential Shredding.

Chemicals – treat as hazardous waste.

Cling film – Clean cling film can be disposed of in mixed recycling bins.

Clinical waste – hazardous.

Clothes and textiles – Special bins are located in Aras na laoi and behind the ORB.

Coffee cups – Coffee cups bought from KSG outlets and the Student Centre are compostable and can be placed in the food waste bins.  Coffee cups from Starbucks and Costa are not recyclable and should be disposed of in general waste bins.

Computer equipment – Old computers are donated to local schools or the Camara charity.  Computer equipment can be brought to the designated WEEE points.

Confidential media (papers, audio tapes, video tapes, CDs, DVDs) – Cork Confidential Shredding

Electrical appliances (excluding computer equipment) – In most cases, you can return old electrical and electronic equipment free of charge by using suppliers’ or manufacturers’ take-back schemes. if not possible, dispose of at WEEE collection points.

Envelopes – Envelopes can either be reused if in good condition or placed in mixed recycling bins.

Fluorescent tubes – WEEE recycling, use lamp boxes in maintenance yard if required.

Food – from the kitchens of canteens on campus is segregated and collected in brown waste food bins. It is the legal responsibility of KSG and the other campus based privately run food outlets.

Fridges / Freezers – WEEE

Furniture – Place in skip or reuse if possible.

Magazines and catalogues – Please use the mixed recycling bins.

Metal – Place in skip (large quantities should be kept separately).

Mobile phones – WEEE collection points.

Newspaper – Please use the mixed recycling bins.

Oil – This should be taken off site by the oil supplier.

Paper – Please use the mixed recycling bins or separate paper recycling bins.

Plastic – Place in mixed recycling bin or contact WMS.

Plastic bags – Please use the mixed recycling bins.

Plastic bottles – Please use the mixed recycling bins.

Printer cartridges – Designation collection points at outdoor recycling zones (see map).

Polystyrene – Designated waste compounds (see map)..

Ring binders – Please use the mixed recycling bins, for large quantities contact Waste Management Solutions.

Telephone directories – Please use the mixed recycling bins.

Tetrapacks – Please use the mixed recycling bins.

Timber Pallets – for large amounts contact Waste Management Solutions.

Wood – A skip can be arranged to dispose of large amounts of wood.