So as they say in Cork………..What’s The (E-Bike) Story…….?
Between the winding boreens and the coastal highways of Cork, UCC’s Electric Bikes have travelled them all, over the past 6 months and not without the help of our friends at the Cork Bike Shed who serviced and maintained our fleet throughout. Our E-Bike trial has continued to be a resounding success, both in and out of the varying levels of Covid-19 Lockdown. Happy staff have enjoyed the benefits of the E-Bike trial and restricted their excursions in line with the travel limits.
- 75 trialists of our Raleigh Motus Tour E-Bikes.
How many Invested?
- 6 new E-Bikes bought by staff who deemed the investment worthwhile.
Cycle Loops travelled?
- Fitzgeralds Park & Cork City Mural Tour.
- Carrigrohane – Coachford loop.
- The Waterford Greenway.
- Curraheen Public Walk, Bishopstown.
- Cork city to Crosshaven.
- Wild Atlantic Way – Kinsale to Cork city.
Biggest Questions/Concerns Answered?
Q Would electric bikes be heavy and noisy?
A The bike is heavy but there is a push-assist mode. It felt and sounded like a normal pedal bike.
Q Would Cork hills be a problem?
A E-Bikes are perfect for Cork Hills, with no struggle to reach the top.
Q How long will the battery last?
A The battery is easily detachable lasting many days between charges
Q Would I need a change of clothes?
A The ease of cycling means arrival in work clothes i.e. no shower/changing room/clothes storage/drying room required.
Q Would rainy weather be any more acceptable on an electric bike?
A In theory, the electric bike would shorten the journey, and a good set of breathable waterproofs will also help.
- Fast charging of battery
- Very comfortable seat
- Great suspension offering a smooth cycling experience.
- Very stable on rough road
- Felt very safe at traffic lights as E-Bike had the acceleration to avoid being a hazard
- Super brakes
- Good lights front and back
- Enjoyed coastal routes, riverside trails and abundant wildlife like never before
- Getting people back biking has helped UCC’s bid to support active commuting and sustainable transportation both, of which we’re passionate about.